Saturday, August 2, 2008

Maybe I Should Make My Blog Sing-Along...


Joss Whedon is most known for his work as the creator of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel and Firefly. I must say I was never really a fan of any of those shows, but have always found the storylines to be interesting, I just never cared much for the execution. At any rate when I read about Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog I wasn't really that interested. But as most stories go, boredom beset me and I finally got around to watching it.

I was captivated from the first minute. Neil Patrick Harris is hilarious as Dr. Horrible. He opens with him having his own video blog and just talking to the camera for a few minutes showing just how pathetic of a villain he truly is. He reminds me of Dick Dastardly from Wacky Races and if anyone actually knows what that show is then I can say that person is my best friend, because I love it.

Dr. Horrible is placed in three episodes labeled Act I, Act II, and Act III and they work as such. Act I brings us into who Dr. Horrible is and why he does what he does. It also sets up the other main characters Captain Hammer, Penny and Moist(a villain whose only power is he sweats alot). We find out that Dr. Horrible has a thing for Penny, but so does Captain Hammer. It's easy to see where the plot could lead from here, but there are still some surprises especially in Act III.

The musical numbers of Dr. Horrible are very well orchestrated and fit seemlessly into the story. The singing is great as well, especially from NPH.

I find this story most satisfying because we follow the villain and root for him. The interesting thing is, when following the villain it is easy to see things through his perspective. Yes, Dr. Horrible knows he is, well horrible, but he also thinks that what he is doing is for a good cause. We can sympathize with him because he is a loser in all meaning of the word. Captain Hammer on the other hand we see as the villain of the story and to be honest, I don't much like the guy. He is pompous, arrogant and doing things for all the wrong reasons. This could be just the way Dr. Horrible sees him or is Whedon trying to tell us to quit judging people, even when they do things that are wrong or that we disagree with. Don't get me wrong, this message isn't being preached at us or thrown in our faces, this is a simple,hilarious but touching little story. It is a refreshing take on the superhero/comic book films and shows we have been bombarded with lately.

Whedon has big plans for these characters and their story and I am on the bandwagon for this one. I think it could work as a film or a television show or even a mini-series, I just want more.

Me: Please sir may I have some more?
Whedon: MOOOOOORE?!?!?!?!

No comments: